Sunday, August 26, 2012

Broccoli rabe pesto

Although I have not been posting our pasta dinners as regularly as I once was since the Pasta Quest officially ended a few months ago, I have continued cooking and eating my favorite food.  When I come up with something that is unique - at least to me - I will share it with my readers.

I have made a lot of noise about broccoli rabe since it began appearing in Paducah's new Midtown Market last month.  Typically it is sauteed in olive oil with garlic and served with Penne pasta or with Cannellini beans.   Last night I tried something a little different...making a pesto with the broccoli rabe.

There was a bunch of the BR in the fridge that I was not able to use immediately, and it began to lose its color and firmness.  Patience cut it up and cooked it in the microwave for the dogs, but before serving it she tasted it and could not bring herself to give it the canine members of our family.  She offered me a taste and I agreed.

I placed it in the food processor, along with some garlic, pine nuts, parmigiano cheese, and olive oil, and created a creamy textured pesto.  Spooned over the cheese and mushroom ravioli, along with a bit of the pasta water, it provided a delicious, easy to make dinner.

No comments: