Thursday, December 7, 2017

12-7-17 Spaghetti with anchovies and Ciabatta crutons

-->

If you like anchovies you will love this dish.


I was cooking for myself tonight, so I decided to try something that I know would not be a favorite of Patience.  She appreciates “anchovies light” and I’ve been anxious to try a little “anchovies heavy”.

INGREDIENTS:

1.     Spaghetti – linguine or angel hair could easily be substituted
2.     Olive oil
3.     Garlic – 1 large clove pressed
4.     Anchovies – 4 fillets finely chopped
5.     White wine – about 2-3 tablespoons
6.     Red Pepper flakes
7.     Fresh oregano and tarragon
8.     Salt and black pepper
9.     Ciabatta bread cut into bite sized cubes

PROCESS:

Coat the bread in olive oil and toast on the stove top (or oven if you prefer). Set aside.
In a small bowl mix the anchovies, garlic and wine and cook in olive oil with the herbs and red pepper flakes until the achovies break down, in a skillet large enough to eventually accommodate the pasta.


Add the pasta to the skillet along with some pasta water and black pepper. and mix thoroughly. Serve with fresh herb garnish and the croutons.


COMMENTS:

If you love anchovies you will love this dish. All I can say is I loved it and can’t wait to do it again – the next time I’m alone.

With a sprinkling of salt, the croutons are a great snack with a glass of wine.


No comments: