Friday, July 19, 2013

GRILLED MORTADELLA Lunch Box series part 4 or 5 or whatever


GRILLED MORTADELLA   Lunch Box series part 4 or 5 or whatever


Two years ago I enjoyed the above lunch in a small café in Bologna Italy, grilled Mortadella on a bed of greens with pine nuts, olive oil, and wonderful sweet Balsamic vinegar.

Today, using local ingredients, I did my best to replicate that experience, realizing that Boarshead Mortadella and the Balsamic vinegar could not compete with their brethren from Emilia Romagna in Italy.  Nevertheless it was a delightful lunch, one that I will definitely being serving myself again.





INGREDIENTS:  all from the Midtown Market

2 slices of Mortadella about ¼” thick
Arugula
Grape tomatoes, sliced in half
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar glaze
several thin onion slices
Parm[gano cheese for grating
Pine nuts (I was out of the pine nuts when I prepared this)

PROCESS:

Saute the onion in olive oil, then grill the Mortadella. 
Place the arugula on the plate, add salt to taste and drizzle with olive oil.  Cover with the grilled Mortadella and drizzle with only a “touch” of olive oil, followed by the Balsamic vinegar.  Grate the cheese over everything and enjoy.

No comments: