Friday, February 22, 2013

THE PADUCAH PORTFOLIO…part one




On several occasions in this blog and on my facebook page, the Art of William Renzulli, I have posted images of work I have done on this portfolio.  My plan is to spend the first 6 to 8 moths of this year creating the artwork for a hardcover book to be published and available this fall.

This project basically brings me full circle, back to where my art started, in the streets of Wilmington Delaware.  I fell in love with the colors and texture of the gritty urban landscape and hidden memories that could only be imagined in the wide-ranging architecture, streetscapes, and markets.  In 1985 I published a book of drawings and paintings celebrating Wilmington.  After almost 11 years in Paducah, I feel the need to “celebrate” Paducah, and taking advantage of technology that was not available in 1985, I can share with you the process of making this idea a reality.

This will not a book about Paducah’s history - social, architectural, or commercial, but it will be about Paducah’s “eye candy”, at least to my eyes.  It will a book to look at, not a book to read.  It is a book about the city we see everyday, the mundane and the elegant, the new and the old.  It is a book where even the refuse can be a thing of beauty.

I have created many paintings of the Paducah cityscape in the years I have been here, and several of them will appear in this portfolio, but fo the most part, the art will be new, created over a period of 6-8 months. 

The first, and ongoing task, has been to grab the camera and hit the streets, on foot or in car, exploring parts of the city I have never visited before.  (I can’t work the streets like I did 35 years ago.)  Amost all of the artwork will be done in the comfort of my studio...another nod to my age.





There is some amazing architecture tucked away off the beaten paths in the city.

No comments: