Thursday, August 21, 2014

ON BEING A POLLYANNA

-->

I don’t remember what prompted it, but my dear sweet wife looked me directly in the eyes and said, “You’re a friggin Pollyanna”. (She has such a way with words.)  And as many of us know, Patience is always right.  I freely admit it.  As my wife so eloquently pointed out, I look at the world through rose-colored glasses.  

I guess I have always been a Pollyanna.  The few times I’ve tried to change have never been successful.  So I happily accept my lot, and in fact, am quite proud of it. Admittedly, there is always the risk of being disappointed and/or deceived by people or circumstances, however the advantages more than make up for the occasional slights.

I think Pollyannas are generally happier than others because they usually find the good in people and circumstances, giving them a measure of enjoyment the non-Pollyanna might miss.  And Pollyannas are fun to be around; they cast a positive light on everything, even if it is not entirely warranted. 

Only as a Pollyanna could I have left my medical practice to be an artist, and 12 years later at age 53, open a medical practice in the barn on our farm.  And only a Pollyanna could pick up and move 900 miles from family and friends to be part of an artist relocation program that had nothing to offer but hope.  My rose colored glasses have served me quite well and I have no intention of taking them off.

My art reflects the world I see through these glasses.

In The Light   Pastel

No comments: