Wednesday, November 29, 2017

11-29-17 Farfalle with green tomato sauce

-->
A new pasta experience tonight

 
This was inspired by a recipe in the Italian food magazine called Gambero Rosso. The English edition has been discontinued but Italian edition is still in print. The truth is – the tomatoes are to be roasted, which I did, to the point of burning them. Patience saw the dejection on my face and suggested that I sauté them instead. Since we have an ample supply of green tomatoes I started over.

INGREDIENTS:

1.     Green tomatoes coarsely chopped (3)
2.     Olive oil
3.     Garlic & onion
4.     Fresh basil leaves – I used frozen basil leaves from last years crop)
5.     Farfalle pasta
6.     Red pepper flakes
7.     Romano Pecorino cheese
8.     Dry Vermouth
9.     Butter

PROCESS:

Prepare the onion and garlic in olive oil. Add the tomatoes, ¼ cup of dry vermouth, basil, salt and pepper, and cover and cook over med-high heat for about 30 minutes until the tomatoes break down. With large fork mash the tomatoes to a creamy sauce, cover, and keep warm. Just before the pasta is ready I added a tablespoon of butter to the sauce while Patience was not looking, along with some of the pasta water.  Add the pasta and about ¼ cup of the grated cheese and mix well.

COMMENTS:

Without any garnish this is not an attractive looking dish. But looks are deceiving, and this was very good. The sauce was sweet, but not overpowering. We agreed there were a number of ingredients that could add to its appeal: bacon or pancetta, mushrooms, and kalamata olives, to name just a few. I was pleased to have a new ingredient at my disposal…the green tomato. I have looked at hundreds of pasta recipes and this was the first one I found for a sauce using  green tomatoes.

No comments: