Saturday, April 4, 2009

WORKING LONG...IN WATERCOLOR

I've decided it is time to lose myself in some work that will probably take 4-6 weeks to complete, giving me something to do when there is nothing else to do. Does that make any sense to anyone?

My goal is to depict the architecture of an entire city block, something I use to do quite regularly in my early artist years. The final painting will measure aproximately 20x60". The first step, after taking the aproppriate photographs, is to get a fix on the relative size of one of the buildings by scaling down the photo. A smaller pencil sketch is done of the entire block of buildings from this scale, and then scaled up to fit the paper. In this case Im allowing 52 inches for the image. Each building will be rendered as an elevation drawing; all depth to be created by shadows. There is no perspective, and the final drawing is done almost exclusively with t-squares and rulers.


I'm actually working on two of these at the same time.


I've exaggerated the contrast here to show the faint pencil lines.


DELANCEY PLACE is a a commission I did several years ago. I'm posting it here so you can see where I'm going with the work.

4 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

Wow, that DOES sound like a big undertaking! But it looks right up your alley:) wish you success.

Linda said...

I love this style of yours. These are going to be really huge, too!

Aynex Mercado said...

That would be interesting. Are you doing a place in particular?

William F. Renzulli said...

I'm doing both sides of Market house square. Then it will be on to Broadway as I paint the town.