Saturday, October 27, 2012

The nap

-->

I adjusted the canvas shoulder bag under my head as I lie in the cool spring grass of the park.  The abundant trees held enough young leaves to keep the bright sun out of my closed eyes.  Letting go of all thoughts, the street noise gradually retreated and I found myself in that wonderful stage between consciousness and sleep, and then – awakening to the realization that I had been sleeping, on the ground, in Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Square early in the afternoon on that late spring day in 1979.  After walking the streets with my camera all morning, and consuming more lunch that I really needed, sprawling on the grass in the park seemed like the only civilized thing to do.  None of the many people strolling about seemed to pay any attention to me or the others seeking comfort on the grass.  I hope I wasn’t snoring. 

Two paintings from that memorable outing, with apologies for the poor quality of the pics:

 Rittenhouse square...watercolor
 Levi's Hot Dogs...watercolor

No comments: