Thursday, October 23, 2014

WRITING BLUES




I’m sitting here in my study wanting to write…something - anything…but there is nothing I can find to hold my interest.  The writing gurus say one should be disciplined and write every day, even when the spirit is not there.  That is easy to say, but much harder to do.  Perhaps I’m spoiled, used to impromptu writing, where the subject grabs me and the words come tumbling out with little forethought; this has happened repeatedly, and I love it.  The only real work I have to do is the re-write. It is much more fun than sitting at the keyboard, wracking my brain for something of interest.  Besides, I write for my pleasure and enjoyment, so why should I burden myself with the rigid discipline of a professional writer?

On the other hand, even though I’m writing for personal pleasure, I want to write well, and that requires commitment and effort..  Looking at it that way, the discipline to daily writing takes on a different meaning.  It is impossible not to compare my writing experience with my art.  They both require the discipline of practice in order to achieve a degree of competence.  I read somewhere that to learn how to paint, one must paint, and to learn how to write, one must read.  That made sense to me and I began reading memoirs, essays, and other works of non-fiction by accomplished writers.  Time will tell if it has been an effective exercise.

Here is an idea;  I should keep a list of subjects I might want to write about, then periodically select one and simply begin writing, exploring the first thoughts that come to mind and letting them lead the way, with no pressure to complete a “finished” narrative.

Well I’ll be…I’ve just written 290 words about not having anything to write about.



No comments: