Thursday, October 23, 2014

THE DAILY URBAN LANDSCAPE #18 MARKET STREET - WILMINGTON DE

I will be in Wilmington today, and if time allows, will check out a new Jerry's Artarama store on Market St.  When I lived there, Market street had been converted to an urban mall, with no vehicular traffic, an experiment that was later abandoned.  When I visit now I have to adjust to this change, as well as many others since I painted this portrait of one block of Wilmington's "main street".

Market Street
Limited Edition print from original watercolor
12x37"
$50

The elegant structure in the middle is the Grand Opera House, with its cast iron facade.  It was restored to its original beauty in the late 1970s and is a great venue for live music and theater.  My very first art show was in The Grand Gallery in 1977 located on the ground floor. (long since gone)

No comments: