Friday, June 9, 2017


6-9-17   Spaghetti with fresh tuna

It has been on my mind for weeks – pasta with fresh tuna instead of the usual tuna in oil I’ve always used.  Today I made the commitment by purchasing fresh tuna steaks at the Midtown Market, and tonight I did the deed.

                    
          

INGREDIENTS:

1.     Fresh tuna steaks
2.     Spaghetti
3.     Olive oil
4.     Shallots and garlic
5.     Anchovies-2 fillets finely chopped
6.     Sundried tomatoes in oil coarsely chopped
7.     Celery
8.     Fresh spearmint – coarsely chopped
9.     Fresh Oregano
10. White wine
11. Fresh lemon juice
12. Red pepper flakes (optional)

PROCESS:

Heat olive oil in skillet over high heat and cook the tuna steaks about 3 minutes on each side until browned.  Remove and set aside.

Cut the tuna into bite size pieces.
 
Deglaze the skillet with wine, reheat olive oil and cook the shallots and celery until soft then add the garlic and the anchovies.  Cook for several minutes before adding the tomatoes, tuna, herbs, and white wine.  Continue cooking over medium heat, adding the juice from ½ lemon.

When the pasta in ready, add to the skillet, along with pasta water, and mix thoroughly.

COMMENTS:

I am ready to declare my first experience with fresh tuna and pasta a resounding success.  (I know – my humility is overbearing.)  I think fresh tomatoes or even canned peeled tomatoes could be substituted for the sundried tomatoes.
My in-house critic agrees with my assessment.


No comments: