Friday, July 7, 2017

7-7-17 Porch pasta inspired by Tony Del Pozzo




My father’s cousin, Angelina Renzulli, came to America in the late 1950s and married Tony Del Pozzo, whose family had a restaurant in NYC.  Tony and Angelina visited my parents when they were living on our farm in Maryland, and Tony prepared a pasta dish with eggplants and mozzarella that Patience and I have never forgotten. Tonight’s pasta is a pale second to Tony’s, but it was his creation that inspired it.

My original plan was to combine mushrooms and Japanese eggplants for the garden.  But Patience reminded me we had some greens in the fridge that had to be used, so they were added to the mix.

INGREDIENTS:

1.     Linguine – I usually cook 3-4 oz. for the two of us
2.     Small button mushrooms
3.     Japanese eggplants – cut into long strips
4.     Beet greens and red Chard coarsely chopped
5.     Olive oil
6.     Fresh tarragon
7.     Onion and garlic
8.     Sweet Vermouth
9.     Toasted Panko
10. Mozzarella cut into thin strips

PROCESS:

Cook the onion and garlic in oil until soft, then add the mushrooms and eggplant and cook uncovered over med-low heat.  After several minutes add a splash of sweet vermouth, the tarragon, and cook covered over low heat.  Add the greens about 10-15 minutes before the pasta is ready.

When the pasta is done, add it to the sauce, along with the panko, some pasta water, and the cheese, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.

COMMENTS:

This was not as good as Tony’s, but I never expected it to be.  Patience suggested I use basil instead of tarragon the next time I try this.  I give an 8/10.

No comments: