Wednesday, December 6, 2017

12-6-17 Spaghetti w Leek, Zucchini, and Anchovies



This is a “refinement” on a dish I first prepared 2 years ago. (I think refinement sounds much better than variation.) I want to include it in a Pasta Journal I’m working on and thought I could improve on the original recipe by adding 2 ingredients, sundried tomatoes and pancetta.



INGREDIENTS:
1.     Olive oil
2.     Garlic- pressed
3.     Anchovy fillets – 3- finely chopped
4.     Pancetta
5.     Leek  white and light green part thinly sliced
6.     White wine
7.     Basil fresh or frozen
8.     3 sundried tomatoes coarsely chopped
9.     Tomato paste – 1 tablespoon
10. Salt and pepper
11. Spaghetti

PROCESS:

Cook the pancetta and remove from the pan – set aside to drain. Mix the garlic and chopped anchovies with 1 tablespoon of white wine, then cook in the same pan, adding a little olive oil, until the anchovies dissolve.  Add the Leek , Zucchini, salt and pepper, and Basil and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to brown.  Turn down the heat, add a splash of wine, the sundried tomatoes, and the tomato paste, mixing thoroughly.

Add the pasta and the pancetta to the sauce, plus pasta water as needed and mix thoroughly.  Drizzle with olive oil and serve with grated Grana Padonna cheese.

COMMENTS:

I had a lot of misgivings about this the first time I made it…until I tasted it.  It turned out to be a winner.  I loved the rustic appearance and taste, the combination of Leek and Zucchini with the Anchovy base is incredible. The addition of the new ingredients made it even better.

NOTE – for all Anchovy haters – they add a richness to the flavor without an Anchovy taste.  Patience always tells me not to tell our guests when I use Anchovies in this way.

No comments: