Saturday, December 9, 2017

12-9-17 Gemelli w artichoke hearts & bottoms

-->
I had dinner all figured out. It was going to be my precious Patience’s favorite ingredients – artichoke hearts and peas.  Alas, not long into the preparations I discovered there were no peas in the freezer. What could I do? What goes with artichoke hearts... artichoke bottoms, which we happened to have in the freezer, and dinner was saved.


INGREDIENTS:

1.     Gemelli
2.     Frozen artichoke bottoms
3.     Artichoke hearts in water
4.     Leeks
5.     Garlic
6.     Celery
7.     Olive oil
8.     Fresh dill and dried tarragon
9.     Lemon juice
10. White wine
11. Butter
12. Pancetta diced
13. Red pepper flakes
14. Chicken broth – about 1/3 cup


PROCESS:

Note – I’m describing the steps I took as I worked my way through this dish. The key is the ingredients, and how you use them is up to you.

Cook the pancetta, remove and set aside, and remove the grease from the pan.
Add olive oil to the pan and cook the leeks and celery until soft, and them add the garlic and continue cooking over low heat.  Add the chicken broth, artichoke bottoms and hearts, and red pepper flakes, plus a splash of wine, and cook covered  until the artichoke is totally defrosted and soft.  Add the herbs and about 1 tbsp of butter and cook uncovered to thicken the sauce.  Before the pasta is done, add the lemon juice and pancetta .

Add the pasta with some pasta water to the pan and mix well.


COMMENTS:

We both gave this a 10, easily.

No comments: