Monday, August 6, 2007

Journaling, is it for you?

Many of my postings will be taken from my journals, usually with some editing and revising. I began writing in a journal in the mid to late 1970’s when I discovered it to be a useful tool in helping me get through n very tumultuous time in my life. What was initially a haphazard exercise initiated by emotional turmoil and confusion soon became a daily routine. For the past 30 years I have started t every day with 15 to 30 minutes spent in my journal. It helps in so many ways: to clarify my thoughts, to understand my feelings and my behavior, and to see solutions to what I thought were hopeless problems, to name just a few. The entries may be mundane and diary-like, deep and soul searching, or simple silent cries for help, depending on what my needs may be.

From the beginning I have written on paper kept in a 3 ring binder using only a fountain pen. On rare occasions I had to resort to ballpoint or felt tip pens and hated them. During the winter of 2002-2003 I developed rather severe arthritis in my hands that was severe enough to make writing impossible, and I turned to the computer. Fortunately the arthritis resolved completely in several months and I could return to my fountain pen. What I find interesting is that while the computer is my preferred means of all of my other writing, it simply doesn’t work for the journal. For some reason I need the feel and the intimacy of pen and paper and the freedom from format and grammar that the primitive instrument provides. I get pleasure out of the feel and the sound of the pen moving across the paper. There is a more direct connection between my emotions and the words as they escape from the pen than there is with the computer. In addition I can place words and lines wherever I want them, using the spacing and placement of text to emphasis my thoughts or ideas, something I can’t do with the computer. Of course whether or not anyone can read my writing remains to be seen. Perhaps that is another advantage of the pen and paper.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Bill! It's great to have you among us.

Mary Thorsby said...

Excellent! We need more bloggers in Paducah, and I'm thrilled that you've joined in! Can't wait to keep up with your postings. I know they'll be awesome!

Brenda said...

Welcome, Bill! I'll look forward to your posts.

Karen said...

Bill I'll look forward to adding you to my daily ritual of keeping up with our local bloggers!

Mary Thorsby said...

Hi Karen, I'm trying to keep a list of local bloggers. Could you email me at mary@ilistpaducah.com with any ones I may not know about? You'll see the list on the right-hand side of my blog, ilistpaducah.blogspot.com. Thank you!

Charlotte said...

i love you HeartBreak Bill!