Monday, January 11, 2010

PAINTING FROM THE HEART

It sounds so simple. Just paint “for yourself”, follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, and on and on and on we hear the message. For years I thought I’ve been doing a pretty good job of doing just that, and maybe I have. But lately I’m not so sure Lurking in the dark recesses of my mind are small but significant voices asking me: will this painting sell, will it appeal to a gallery, is it cutting edge and contemporary, what will my fellow artists think, etc., etc., etc.

I find some comfort by telling myself that all artists have to deal with similar issues....they do, don’t they? I have always been willing to compromise, perhaps because what I like to paint is generally well accepted by the public at large, but not by many contemporary galleries. I subscribe to Art in America and ask myself why; my work has no place in their world. I have really tried to appreciate conceptual art, but to no avail, and installations leave me wondering there is something wrong somewhere, either with the artist or me.

I am not one to make New Years resolutions, but will go out on a limb and make one now. I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO IGNORE ALL THAT IS NOT MY OWN. I WILL NOT SECOND GUESS MY INSTINCTS AND WILL PAINT ALL THE BARNS, TREES, AND LANDSCAPES THAT MY HEART DESIRES (or stormy skies)!

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

You're good to not second guess your artistic instinct! But it's also hard at times:)
I love this stormy scene!

Unknown said...

Don't second guess yourself. You're doing fine. I haven't seen "Art in America," but I assume it's similar to "Aperture" in the photography world. Though I do some photography that some might consider artistic and perhaps even weird, I just can't connect with most of the stuff I see in "Aperture" and I'm sure those that appreciate the photos in the magazine wouldn't like my work.

As Joseph Campbell said, "Follow your bliss."

Julio Rodrigues said...

This one is special. Overwhelming athmospheric drama. Love it.

Brenda said...

I LOVE this! (Follow your heart and you won't go wrong.)