Wednesday, August 15, 2012

An Artist's Statement

Today's post is taken from my studio newsletter that I sent out this week. 
 
THINKING ABOUT MY WORK - one more attempt at writing an artist's statement.

Why do I create art?  What does it mean?  How do I describe my art?  Writing about my work has always been difficult for me, in part because of the wide range of my subjects and media.  I've written several "Artist's Statements" over the years and have never been completely satisfied with them.  It is time to try again.

Why do I create art?  The best answer I can offer is that I paint and draw because I have to. It is in my DNA; it is who I am, and I have no reason to seek any other answers.

What does it mean?  How would I describe my art?  The one consistent theme in all of my work is to create beauty, both elegant and mundane.  My goal is to present a work that is visually pleasing, inviting the viewer to participate.



On the way to Nashville...Pastel...framed...15x40...$800

 Telling a story…when I am drawing and painting the local landscapes - barns, farms, storefronts, and street scenes - I feel I’m providing a visual story of places, inspiring memories and feelings and evoking imagination in the viewer.

 

Red Balloons...mixed media drawing on clay mono type...14x14...$300

Reflecting the world around us, as it is…I try to show the beauty and elegance in the familiar environment.  When I paint a small corner store, an elegant façade on Main St., or peek into a back street alley, I want people to see and appreciate all of the visual delights that I see in both the built and the natural environment.  I try to show the beauty in the world we see every day.



grey smokestacks...pastel...20x30 plus frame...$900

Imagining my own world...by manipulating color, values, and composition I set out to create moods and drama in many of my landscapes.  Whether it is something I’ve seen or imagined, I feel free to create my own colors and forms, while maintaining a strong sense of reality.



Autumn Trees...acrylic...12x48...$1200

The pleasure of the work…finally, it is simply fun to paint and draw.  I love the ergonomics of the work; there is an almost sensual pleasure of laying down a watercolor wash, an immense degree of satisfaction seeing an image evolve from a previously blank space, and pure delight in the markings of a sketch or line drawing, regardless of the subject.



Union Square...watercolor...22x43 framed...$1800

That's my statement and I'm sticking to it...................at least for now.

Best wishes to everyone, and here's hoping the cooler weather prevails for a little longer.

Bill


William Renzulli
http://renzulliart.com/home.html
http://williamfrenzullimd.blogspot.com/
wfrenzulli@mac.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, great reflections and really awesome artwork!

James said...

I completely agree with your thoughts and observations. I believe Online Chemists applies the same approach as well for their General Medicines.