Monday, November 12, 2012

FALLING IN LOVE WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH




It is still early in the relationship, but I have a strong sense that it is going to grow into something very special.  We were meant for one another, and I can imagine the day when it proudly stands along side of pasta and me.  (Let me assure everyone that my relationship with pasta is very secure and will not be threatened by the squash.)

My first personal encounter with BNS was during our pasta quest, when I used it to make a filling for ravioli; it was a passing affair, and only recently have we begun a more sustained relationship as Patience and I have shifted to a more plant based diet.  Currently we are on soup kick, combining the BNS with carrots and sweet potatoes, and creating a variety of soups by adding salmon or smoked salmon (really good!), toasted Kale flakes, or serving the soup over slices of roasted cabbage.  Of course the variations are unlimited, and always served with fresh graded Reggiano Parmigiano cheese.

I must confess that for a while I was feeling pretty bad, thinking I was cheating on my pasta, but then I remembered the threesome we shared, and once more all was well in our kitchen.

No comments: