Sunday, April 22, 2012

4-22…pasta with sun dried tomato pesto and arugula


Tonight I will depart from my usual routine and provide some measurements for the ingredients used.  I think I can do that without inhibiting the “creative flow”.

 A few months ago I picked up an envelope of dried chopped tomatoes, thinking one day I would try them in place of my usual sun dried tomatoes in oil.  Well tonight is the night.



INGREDIENTS:

Al Dente brand Fiesta fettucine
Dried chopped tomatoes – 3 oz.
Fresh oregano, chopped  - 1 tablespoon
Juice from ½ lemon
Red Pepper flakes, about ¼ tablespoon
Olive oil – ¼ to 1/3 cup
Garlic  - 1 medium clove

PROCESS:

Rehydrate the tomatoes by placing them in a bowl, covering them with boiling water, and letting them sit for 2-3 minutes.  Drain them and place in a blender or food processer.  Add the oregano, lemon juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes plus the olive oil and pulse to a creamy consistency.

Mix the pesto and the arugula into the pasta, adding about 1/3 cup of pasta water if necessary, drizzle with olive oil and serve.  Salt and pepper to taste.

COMMENTS:

This dish could have been a ten, but because I put too much pesto on the pasta, the flavor was a bit overwhelming.  Use the pesto sparingly and you will end up with a ten.

No comments: