Friday, April 13, 2012

Being in between

is how I feel right now, a familiar place that appears after the completion of every sustained effort.  In this case, the Barns and Farms show which has been front and center in my life for the past three or four months.  The let down is a natural phenomenon, one I've experienced time and time again; it will soon pass and I'll be on to the next project.

In the meantime, it is always possible to find things to do in the studio...clean, write, draw, read, and of course, nap, nothing major, just simple, but rewarding work that keeps me from feeling totally useless.




This may be an appropriate time to visit an excerpt from Have I Told You Today That I Love You.


LEARN TO RECOGNIZE THE EBB and FLOW OF YOUR LIFE

There is at least a little wisdom in the cliché, “Go with the flow”.  The human psyche is subject to the same cyclic or periodic variations that are so evident in the world around us; we all experience the ups and downs in our emotional life with varying regularity, sometimes predictable and some times not.  By learning to listen to yourself you can begin to recognize similar patterns as they effect all aspects of your emotional or spiritual life...enthusiasm, sadness, the availability of creative energy, ambition, imagination, etc.  Knowing this, it is possible to avoid wasting a great deal of time and energy trying to work against the tide, waiting instead for a more receptive time.

2 comments:

happy internist said...

some days my life is on flow and my mind is on ebb, some days it's the opposite, and every so often the two align!

William F. Renzulli said...

I know exactly what you mean.