Saturday, March 9, 2013

THE PADUCAH PORTFOLIO…5 CHURCHES




My God, there are more churches in Paducah than people!  OK, that is a slight exaggeration, but there really are a lot of churches here, and that is a problem for me, because I have to decide which ones to include in the Portfolio.

Initially it was pretty easy, the obvious churches were the old downtown giants on Broadway and Jefferson streets.  That covered the Catholics, Methodists, Episcopalians, and the Presbyterians, but what about the Lutherans and Baptists?  I don’t want to be seen as playing favorites here.  So I expanded my mental section – “Spiritual Architecture” – and included two more churches, which I thought would keep me in reasonably good standing in the community of the faithful.  



Bethel Baptist Church

Lutheran Church on KY Ave.

Until yesterday morning when I decided to re-visit the Southside with my camera.  How could I not include either of these churches?

Burk's Chapel  AME Church

Nehemiah's Christian Church

Maybe the churches need a portfolio of their own.

Note...the size of the steeples bears no relation to the intensity of the faithful. 

No comments: