Wednesday, January 2, 2008

FROM A MEDICAL JOURNAL

Some memories never fade, but retain their same intensity over many years. Was it really 30 years ago (3-78) that I wrote about the death of this sad man? While so many other faces have long since left, his face and his voice remain with me, along with a handful of others, to remind me of a life I have left behind. On the few occasions when I write about patients I have cared for, I change the name to maintain their privacy. But I cannot make myself do that today because I feel it would be a disservice to this man who for so long felt so alone and angry.
*****
Mr. Santoro died today.

May he find the peace and love he felt denied to him while he lived.
I’m sorry Mr.Santoro, truly sorry that I could not make your life a happier one.

You are peaceful now, I have never seen you look so tranquil...
Your face so relaxed.

It is not the face of a dead man.

No comments: