Monday, June 16, 2008

MIGLIORI AMICI



How could we miss, a Jew from Brooklyn and an Italian from New Jersey. And if more was needed, a retired clinical psychologist and a retired physician, or, how about a shared passion for food, wine, and art. The bottom line...Harvey and I were meant to be best friends, and we are. For the past 5 years we have enjoyed each others company in a relationship that is equally comfortable in silence, conversation, or laughter. We have shared endless hours of each in my studio where Harvey had his own work space until a week ago. Sadly, he and his lovely wife Jeannie are packing their household in preparation for a move to San Diego later this month. I am having a difficult time imagining life in Paducah without his companionship; we have so many shared memories.

He is a friend, who on 24 hours notice, joined me on a spontaneous 5 day trip to the southwest because of a dream, a trip that taught us a lot about our friendship.

We traveled to NYC for 3 days to attend trade shows, and spent 2 days, in Atlanta on a similar mission.

Harvey accompanied me to Chicago twice, first on an overnight trip to learn about the One of Kind Show, and several months later to help me “do the show” over a five day period.

We’ve made numerous trips Nashville where he has shown me the best places to eat and shop (the Noshville diner - an authentic Jewish Deli, Provence for coffee, and Whole foods, formerly Wild Oats, where I can get broccoli rabe.) . Besides the food we shared the less than delightful experiences of Prostate ablation at the hands of Dr. M at Vanderbilt University, (not simultaneously I should point out) something we both prefer to forget.

The Tilkers and the Renzullis shared at least 3 meals a week, either at our house (chateau coo coo) or at the Tilker"s elegant loft downtown. I don't know what I enjoyed more, cooking pasta for them or partaking of Harvey's Borscht or Jean's pop overs, a pure breakfast delight.

And I would be remiss if I failed to mention that it was Harvey and Jean who introduced us to dining at the bar at Cynthia’s. I would like to describe us as a couple of wild and crazy guys, but the sad truth is, sitting at a bar we talk more about our blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and how many times we have to get up to pee at night (None since visiting Dr. M.!) than anything else.

I will miss sharing my life with him...friendships that are so easy and comfortable are difficult to establish, but they are the ones that can prevail despite time and distance. On a positive note, I now have a very good reason to travel to the southwest.


We laughed a lot!


But we were always serious!


Jean and Harvey Tilker. Patience and I will miss them dearly.

9 comments:

timerulesmylife said...

I know how you feel. I miss our young neighbors very badly! Tell Patience that now that Ashley is gone, that she will have to do BLACK FRIDAY shopping with me! You can come also, if you want to!

laurie said...

oh Bill, you made me laugh out loud and get a bit teary-eyed as I thought of your lives without each other....I know you'll all adjust and manage but the goodbyes and the first days will be very sad and empty, I know....
I do understand the type of friendship you'll retain with Harvey... I have two great friends and another especially dear friend in Colorado ; though I rarely get to spend time with these friend, each time we get together again, it's as though we've never been apart as we pick up just where we left off....

Please say farewell to them for me as well.. I'll miss them on my visits to the Chateau... I hope to see them again sometime too!
laurie and gang

Suzanne said...

Aww! A lovely heartfelt post.

Aynex Mercado said...

I'll especially remember your seriousness...

Have a good trip Harvey and Jeanie!

dog face girls said...

Dear Bill,

San Diego is not in the Southwest!!

Vee

madre-terra said...

What a sweet post.
And I volunteer my family to do some Whippet sitting so that you and Patience can visit your dear ones.
I'm good at that, you know, volunteering my family.
BTW...Michael and Xan arrived today. YIPPEEEEEEEE

Brenda said...

This is such a beautiful tribute to your friend. It pulled at my heartstrings...

Nancy Standlee said...

Bill, how wonderful that you've enjoyed having such a great friend and tell him to get ready for a few long visits.

LuckyGal said...

You don't know me but we are the people that Harvey and Jean have rented our home in San Diego California. My name is Cheryl and my husband is Jack. It is such a joy to read these wonderful things about Harvey and Jean and although we didn't get a lot of time to know them better, our trusted intuitions tell us that we are honored and privileged to have rented to such a nice couple. It is said that to know someone, one must know their friends to see their character and life. After reading your blog and sensing your warmth and kindness we now see inside Harvey and Jean a bit more. Please visit with your friends in California and our home will embrace you with love and joy and many happy memories. We are off to Spain for three years trusting that all is well! Perhaps someday our paths with cross. Best regards. Cheryl