Thursday, May 9, 2013

BY THEIR BACKSIDES YOU WILL KNOW THEM


I’m not sure that means anything, but I like the way it sounds, and the different meanings the words can inspire.  For the purposes of this post, it means that the backs of so many urban buildings often stand in stark contrast to their fronts, and are frequently far more interesting to me because of the nitty gritty texture and disarray

I’ve been rendering the back side of buildings and streets for as long as I have been painting urban architecture…some 40 years now.

Wilmington backyards...watercolr...circa 1980

Where Am I?  Early Paducah watercolor...circa 2005

Included in the Paducah Portfolia - a work very much in progress - are these two new paintings.

Behing Market Sq. East...markers

Behind Jerfferson St....markers

I can't help myself.  When I see stuff like this I simply have to draw/paint it.  Or this...

Sidewalk Sentinels...watercolor and ink...circa 1980

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is all incredible artwork! I'm in awe of the scenes that you can render. I tend to get mixed up when there are too many different things in the scene. You make it look so easy, and you bring out the personality of these buildings very nicely. I'm mesmerized by the structure of different styles of old buildings too.

William F. Renzulli said...

Thanks Katherine, Positive feedback is always appreciated.