Tuesday, April 19, 2011

SUNDAY MORNING ON THE PORCH…



It is Sunday morning in Paducah, which means the streets are quiet, very few cars and even fewer souls out and about. The sun is shining brightly from a clear blue sky, and if I ignore the cool breeze blowing across the porch I can believe it is ideal porch time.. I’m pleased to report that I have successfully ignored the breeze and am sitting here with my laptop and a cup of coffee listening to Godspell on my ipod (it is Sunday.). Delia is keeping me company, lying in the sun on one of the several dog beds we’ve consigned to porch duty. Jabber the puppy was with us until he started to feast on yesterday’s cut grass, and I mean feasting. Hopefully I caught him early enough to prevent a major tummy ache.

I am of two minds about Sundays in Paducah. On one hand, the quiet and stillness that settles over out town is a welcome relief from the previous 6 days, which are not exactly a beehive of constant noise and movement, but then everything is relative.

On the other hand, the city promotes itself as a weekend getaway, and having all but one of the downtown restaurants, and most of the shops and galleries closed on Sundays puts a bit of a crimp in that claim. I have kept Sunday hours for as long as we have been here, along with Wil at Stornaway Galleries, the other Sunday warrior.

I don’t mind being in the studio on Sundays; the stillness and quiet finds its way in and I can enjoy it there as well as on the porch.

1 comment:

Aynex Mercado said...

Ahh... I remember those porch Sundays...