Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The joy of broccoli rabe

I realize that I can be "over the top" in my comments and descriptions of the pasta we've been eating, but sometimes it simply can't be helped because the food is so damn good.  That was the case last night when I prepared fettuccine with the Broccoli Rabe from Whole Foods brought to us by Elliot and Tom. 
Patience and I both thought this was the best BR we had ever had.






I have posted the recipe on several occasions and will not repeat it here, but there were two variations in last night's dish; I added sweet onions with the garlic, and bacon bits to the final dish.  I don't know if it was this, or simply the broccoli rabe itself, but the result was the wonderful flavor of the greens, without the bitterness, plus an element of sweetness (I hate trying to describe flavors) that combined to create a memorable meal.

I think the most important thing is not to overcook the broccoli rabe.  It should be blanched for 3-4 minutes in boiling water, then sauteed with the garlic and olive oil for about 5 more minutes, allowing it to retain it's bright green color.  This means timing the pasta so it is ready when the broccoli rabe is.

2 comments:

dennisyoungarrts.com said...

Spot on, beautiful photos and delicious recipe. Yet more than a couple restaurants with rabe on the menu fail to cook it right, which turns out bitter or woody and undercooked. Your picture looks good enough for Giada on the Food Network.

William F. Renzulli said...

thanks Dennis. Last night was one of those times when it all came together.