Thursday, August 14, 2008

SEVEN -O

It has taken me a while,but I finally figured it out. This mental funk I've been in for the past few months can be traced back to my birthday in May.

I can look back on several birthdays that have had special import for me. Certainly my 17th, which allowed me to apply for a drivers license, a milestone for any teenage boy, and of course my 21st, which made it legal for me to drink and make a fool of myself. It would be 41 years before the next milestone arrived...my 65th birthday was accompanied by a Medicare card! My parents had Medicare cards for heaven's sake, and now I was looking at one with MY name on it. This might have caused problems for a lesser man than me, but possessed of a strong heart and mind - well, at least a strong heart - I dealt with it and got on with my life, knowing it would be 5 years before I would be facing another significant milestone. Sixty something is one thing, but SEVENTY, that’s clearly something else.

Imagine my surprise and dismay when now, 4 years later, after my 69th birthday, I find myself struggling to deal with the idea of being 70 years old. It doesn’t matter that I’m only 69. Sixty nine doesn’t really exist. It is only there to tell me that in a very short time “YOU WILL BE SEVENTY!” At this point I should explain that I am what the psychologist Carl Jung would call an intuitive, meaning I tend to always focus on the future, living ahead of myself; sometimes I feel like I’ve already lived 2 lifetimes. Although it is premature to deal with all of this now, by doing so my 70th birthday will be a breeze.

OK, so it is all relative, and it is mental, not physical. When I look in the mirror do I see someone who is SEVENTY years old? Of course not. Just because I can’t get up from kneeling without the help of holding on to something...well that doesn’t mean anything. And so I make a little noise when I get up from a chair, it’s just a little ooomph, and that doesn’t count. There are of course a few other problems, which are too delicate to discuss here, but they too are basically all mental......aren’t they.

So, what is my problem with 70? I guess it is the realization that all of the “some day”s that I have always counted on may no longer be there, and for a Jungian intuitive that can be rather threatening. But that is another story.

3 comments:

Peanut said...

I have quite a few more years before I hit 70 but I remember when 70 was ancient. Or 50 even and how your parents in their 30s were so old. Now none of that is true. 70 today is not 70 from 30 years ago.
Oh by the way my almost 13 year old tells me how old I am all the time (I'm 32).

Rachelle

timerulesmylife said...

I make all those sounds too during the daily grind! Maybe I will be seventy also, or maybe you are just 43! You have to be the latter!

timerulesmylife said...

I make all those sounds too during the daily grind! Maybe I will be seventy also, or maybe you are just 43! You have to be the latter!