Thursday, August 21, 2008

SPRING HOUSE - A BITE IN THE ASS


Spring House acrylic on canvas 36x48

I struggled a bit with this painting, working from a photo I took several years ago. My original intention was to create a piece with a cold, wintry look, but as you can see it has morphed into more a an autumn scene. In retrospect I can see there was a flaw in its conception, both in the design and the values and no amount of tinkering can overcome those obstacles.

There is much we can learn from a painting, and this painting was a great teacher, reminding me not to be so cavalier in my approach to the work. I often am, and can usually get away with it, but in the end it catches up with me and bites me in the ass.

1 comment:

Julio Rodrigues said...

It is so interesting how you are your own worst critic...I can only see the great end result...whatever road you took to get there.