Tuesday, January 7, 2014

BACKING INTO THE WORLD OF PASTELS



After almost 20 years of watercolors I needed a break from the medium and began exploring the world of clay printing, a unique process for creating mono types.  I very quickly learned that this medium would not allow me to create the precise, tight architectural images I did with the watercolors. While I experimented with abstract art I continued to look into ways to render the architectural subjects that still held my attention,   At the same time, for reasons I cannot explain I became interested in the industrial environment and began depicting what I called “Industrial Skylines”.

They did not require the same precise technique as my watercolors, and the clay process was well suited for what I was trying to do, but I still needed to have more control of the medium.  Soft pastels were the solution to my problem.  After deciding on the mood/colors and the composition I would create a clay mono type, using Pellon interfacing for the support.   Then I would refine the image, adding details and adjusting colors, basically doing a pastel painting over the print.  Depending on the image, the “pastel content” of the final piece could vary from as low as 50% to as high as 90%.  It was only a matter of time before I began omitting the clay print to work  directly with the pastel.

Here are several early pastel over clay mono type paintings:

Oliver's Skyline  18x36  about 50% pastel


Re-worked skyline about 75% pastel

Prairie Grain Elevators  about 90% pastel

No comments: