Friday, January 3, 2014

FRIENDSHIP

-->Anais Nin put it beautifully when she said, "Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."

Defying the obvious overlapping and gray areas, I find it interesting to think of friendships as they fit the following catagories:

The timeless or forever friend
The “what if” friend – If only we had more time to get to know each other….
The convenient - circumstantial friend
The not quite friend
The spiritual friend
The good time friend
The friend who makes me laugh
The refrigerator friend
The family friend
The shared or mutual friend
The mentor friend
The opposite sex friend
The colleague friend
The common interest friend
The life event friend

In my seventy-four years I have had friends move in and out of my life, the course of our friendship determined by our shifting circumstances.  Most of the time we have lost touch with one another, relying on memories to sustain the kinship.  Recently, with the aid of modern social networks, I have been able to re-connect with some of these friends from the past, and that is pure delight.


This was a very unique group of friends.  They visited me (hat and sunglasses) when I was diagnosed with measles in my sophomore year of high school.  I think they were hoping to catch the measles bug so they could stay home from school.  That did not happen.

No comments: