Sunday, January 5, 2014

THINKING ABOUT MUSIC


Acrylic of violin


Music has the power to transport us to a different place, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.  Sometimes it is the lyrics and/or story, and other times the melody or the voice that takes us back in time by inciting vivid memories of people, places, and events.  But the results are the same; we am pulled into the world of the heart and soul and lifted above life’s daily fray.  I find comfort, inspiration, and encouragement when I allow the music to enter deep within me.

Music can transform loneliness into solitude, grief into sweet sadness, and hopelessness and despair into resolve and determination.  It can evoke memories, sad, and joyful; depending on the music and the circumstances, it can touch the entire range of our emotions.  It is now possible to arrange music into specific playlists to fit one’s current mood or circumstances.  I like to hear Pavarotti’s voice fill the room when I’m working in the studio or cooking pasta, even though I have no idea what he is saying.  Not only is he a silent (or not so silent) link to my mother, (she loved his music) but the sound of his voice seems to belong with my work.

I know nothing about the science of music and cannot discern or appreciate all the variations and nuances of the craft of making music.  My taste in music is very eclectic, determined almost entirely on the emotional response it evokes in me.  It is not unusual for me to be totally clueless regarding the lyrics in a song that I like, but this does not prevent me from enjoying the music by making up my own.

I have learned the value of taking the time to sit in the stillness of my room and allow myself = my soul – to bath in the music’s balm.

Uncle Tony and uncle Alfred


No comments: