Tuesday, August 30, 2011

FRESH TOMATOES AND SUMMER VEGGIES.8-30

When I began this pasta marathon I was thinking of a different dish every night until I ran out of ideas, and this would have worked. Except I did not count on the CURSE OF THE ZUCCHINI! This incredible creation of God…that masquerades as a vegetable…never stops. Every time I turn around there is another batch of fresh zucchini staring at me! And right along side of those green things are other green things, just a little skinnier..GREEN BEANS!

You’ve probably figured out where I’m going with this. Since I cannot bring myself to throw away fresh food I have not alternative but to repeat some of my pasta dishes. This, our 81st, may not be an exact duplication, but it will use familiar ingredients.


INGREDIENTS:

Pasta-any shell or short tubular pasta will do
Green beans, cut into 1-2” pieces
Zucchini, cut crosswise into thin pieces
Bacon, cut into small pieces
Garlic, onion
Fresh parsley, basil, dill, and oregano
Olive oil
Fresh tomato sauce (prepared earlie…see the post of 8-17
White wine
Lemon zest

PROCESS:

Cook the bacon, remove from pan and discard the fat. Add olive oil, onion, and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for several minutes before adding the zucchini and green beans. Add the lemon zest, herbs, and white wine and cook under cover for about 10 minutes then add the tomatoes, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.


Add the cooked pasta to the pan, mix well, and add the bacon bits and serve.

COMMENTS:

Wonderful! I don’t know if it is the fresh tomatoes, the wine and dill, or a little bit of everything, but this is great dish. There is also the satisfaction of using fresh, seasonal ingredients.

I can also say that this is not a repetition of a previous dish because of the fresh tomato sauce, the dill, and because I say so. Buon appatite


No comments: