Tuesday, September 6, 2011

SPAGHETTI & MUSHROOMS...SIMPLICITY...9-6


After last night’s ravioli medley I wanted go “simple” tonight. Dinner began at Krogers this morning when I saw some plump white mushrooms beckoning me. I cooked them early in the afternoon and set them in the fridge. I had no plans beyond that, and when it came time to prepare tonight’s dinner…I made it up on the fly.



INGREDIENTS:

White mushrooms, sliced thinly
Fresh dill, basil, and oregano
Olive oil
Garlic
Fresh tomatoes…2 small tomatoes peeled
Anchovy paste
Splash of Sweet Vermouth
Fresh lemon juice
Bacon, chopped
Red pepper flakes

PROCESS:

Cook the mushrooms in olive oil with garlic, and set aside, preserving their juice.
Cook the bacon and set aside to drain. Discard the bacon fat and add the tomatoes anchovy paste, and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for several minutes, breaking it apart with a fork.

After several minutes add a splash of sweet vermouth and some lemon juice (I couldn’t help myself…just had to do that).



Add the cooked spaghetti to the mushrooms, sprinkle with the bacon and serve.

COMMENTS:

Patience gave this a 20! It was good and affirmed my belief in the joys of simple fare.

One or two teaspoons of tomato paste could be substituted for the fresh tomatoes.

1 comment:

Gus said...

Love Anchovy Paste! My husband, who "hates" anchovies and spurns the idea of them, has eaten spaghetti sauces and salad dressings with a touch of anchovy paste for more than 40 years. Shhhhhh...don't tell. You can also substitute Thai "Fish Sauce" if you are out of paste!
b