Sunday, September 4, 2011

SUNDAY GRAVY…9-4

After several days away from the stove I can’t think of a better way to start a new month than with Sunday Gravy on a gray Sunday day.

Using two different meats, chicken thighs and sausage, I plan on making enough for several meals. What I don’t use tonight will be frozen for use on some lazy day in the future.


I know I’ve posted this before, but to save you the time of tracking it down I’ll go through the process again.

THE SAUCE/GRAVY

I have one package of Italian sausage with the links cut into 2-3 inch pieces, and 4 chicken thighs with the skin removed but with bone in place. The meat is browned in olive oil and removed, and the pan deglazed and scrapped with red wine. The results are saved with the meat.


More olive is added and the garlic and onion cooked until soft. For my Sunday gravy I like to use imported San Marzano tomatoes which I buy on line; they are more expensive but worth the extra money. Today I’m using two 28 oz. cans, which I add to the pot, cover, and let simmer for about 10 minutes before returning the meat to the pot. Keep the lid on and simmer over low flame for 1-2 hours. Remove the lid if you want to make the sauce thicker. It won’t take long for your kitchen to be filled with most heavenly fragrance.


Since I was having company tonight I decided to serve rigatoni…I like this pasta with the thick sauce, P doesn’t care for it and she is out of town, and it is easier than spaghetti for non-pasta eaters to handle.

COMMENTS:

I found myself in a funky mood this weekend…hot weather, wife out of town, and just a general “life sucks” mood. I knew I had to do something to get out from under this dark cloud, and the solution was obvious…SUNDAY GRAVY. As soon as the garlic hit the olive oil I knew this would be a better day. And it was. Pasta never lets you down!


Kitchen art by my dear artist friend, Keyth Kahrs.

No comments: