Saturday, October 22, 2011

10-22…The Perils of Pasta

I have some decisions to make. Since starting this almost daily pasta I have gained 5 pounds. That doesn’t sound like much, but it must be a critical 5 pounds, because suddenly I have very few cloths that I can comfortably wear (comfortably is the key word here.). I want to shed these 5 pounds, and more if possible, and the question is…can I do it without giving up my goal of cooking pasta every night we eat at home for one year?

I think it can be done if I can find the discipline to change some long standing eating habit s of mine. This means lighter breakfasts and lunches, less in between meals snacking, and less wine…or a little less wine. And most importantly, limiting myself to one serving of the pasta at dinner and the resumption of my daily walks.

I will give it a try and report back in 4 weeks with the results.

On more pleasant note...or...on a lighter note, here is the latest shipment of San Marzano tomatoes to arrive at la casa Renzulli. I buy them from Ditalia, and online dealer that provides great service.

3 comments:

dennisyoungarrts.com said...

I wish you all the luck, Bill, and I will hope to learn from your success. But shedding the pasta and the wine? It's not even Lent!

Amy said...

Dad, I hear you. I too, need to drop five pounds, maybe even ten! I have an idea in my head and I am calling it the 80/20 diet. It looks like this... Make some yummy vegetable based, low fat pasta dish and use the pasta itself as the topping. Have just a handful of pasta and really fill up on the vegetables and salad. You could take this approach with almost anything, just make the pasta, cream, cheese, meat, whatever it is, the topping. I don't know if it will work, but I am going to try it.

Amy said...

P.S. I went to the farmers market today and got some yummy fresh crisp apples, onions, colorful long, mild peppers, and swiss chard. I wanted to have some inspiring ingredients around for you!