Friday, May 18, 2012

5-17…Pasta with fresh peas


Coming home is always good.  My 8-day trip to MD and PA ended with uneventful flights from Philly to Chicago to Paducah, where dear friend and neighbor Keyth picked me up at the airport.

It usually takes me a day or two to get back into my routine, except where pasta is concerned, and last night there was a bag of fresh peas from the farmer’s market just waiting for some attention.  I set out to reproduce (I use that term loosely) one of my mother’s standard dishes…peas and pasta

INGREDIENTS:

Spaghetti, broken into 3-4 inch pieces (just like mom did)
Fresh peas
Bacon
Olive oil
Garlic and shallots
Dry Oregano, Basil, and red pepper flakes
Dry white wine


PROCESS:

Coarsely chop the bacon, cook, and remove to drain.  Discard the grease, add olive oil, and cook the garlic and shallots with the red pepper flakes.  While they are cooking, place the peas in boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes…don’t over cook.

Drain the peas and add them to the pan, along with a splash of wine and the seasoning.  Cook a few more minutes if needed, then remove from heat and cover until the pasta is ready.

Add the pasta and the bacon to the pan and mix well, adding pasta water if needed.  Serve with good grated cheese.

COMMENTS:

It wasn’t moms, but it was very good, thanks to the fresh peas.  There were no leftovers.


No comments: