Thursday, March 27, 2008

YOU WOULD THINK THAT BY NOW...

I would be comfortable with the unpredictability of an art income, but to my dismay, I am not. Living on a fixed retirement income, that depends on the enhancement by sales of my art, does not allow that., and whenever the sales slow down or disappear completely stress levels go off the scale. But experience has shown that my art has never failed me, and just when I think I am about to “go under” one or more sales are registered and I live to paint another day.

Since the beginning of the year my sales have been almost non-existent and I was embarking in a major self pity party. I was ready to cancel my trip home and go apply for a job as a greeter at WalMart. (I chose to let my medical license lapse...I refused to have it as a crutch!). In spite of my past experiences, I just knew that this time it was going be different...I would have swallow my pride and admit defeat.

But, first the call from an art consultant in NYC to tell me they sold one of my clay mono types. Then the email from someone in Italy named Renzulli -no relative- wanting to purchase one of my paintings she saw on my web site. This was followed by a call from my dear friend Harvey who just sold one of my paintings in Gallery 5 and had another pending. And it didn’t end there. One of my pieces went out on approval at SW Gallery in Philadelphia, and when I checked my phone messages yesterday there were two galleries calling to buy my prints.

Why am I posting this? Because if sing about the good times, then I don’t feel so bad crying about the bad times :-). Seriously, I guess it just to acknowledge that I am a very slow learner, and there is no assurance that with the next down turn I won’t be singing the same sad, worrisome song. But for now...all is well and my rose colored glasses are firmly in place.

And it’s good to be home.


Be it ever so humble, there is no place like your studio.

10 comments:

Linda O'Neill said...

Oh my god...I want your studio! What a great space you have.

Thanks for an uplifting post too, Bill...gives me inspiration. I feel like I'm in a slump right now...but I know things can turn around at any minute. Just part of game.

Congrats CONGRATS on all your sales!! You so deserve every bit.

thermion7 said...

Studio Envy.

When I'm not drawing on the train or at work....I'm drawing at the kitchen table, while simultaneously helping my daughter multiplying improper fractions.

dog face girls said...

Bill, I love your studio..And, man do I understand feast or famaine.

Congrats!

Vee

Linda said...

Wow -- congratulations!

I will join the ranks of people suffering from studio envy. You, however, are not allowed to diagnose us, as you have let your license to do diagnostic work lapse...
;-D THAT took some courage. And I mean COURAGE! But you are so talented, maybe it wasn't courage so much as commitment... Hmmm. Anyway, I'm VERY glad that you are a full time painter, because that gives us all lots of good stuff to see here. And I love your studio.

Terry Banderas said...

Nice story and nice studio. I'm glad you are on a roll.

timerulesmylife said...

Congrats on all of the art sales! You deserve it!

Peanut said...

Congrats on the sales.

Rachelle

Aynex Mercado said...

Good to have you back... but you don't have to rub it in!

laurie said...

I'm so glad you finally made it home, Bill! I also understand the stress of limited income and the delight when things are going well! I'm so happy that your wonderful art has been selling again, as it should be!!
YAY!!
laurie

Brenda said...

You are wise to trust yourself, intuition, and instincts. Your paintings are magnificant.