Tuesday, June 21, 2011

PASTA QUEST…JUNE 21...GREEN BEANS - POTATOES


Last night’s dinner was the 31st pasta dish I’ve prepared since starting this venture last month. Although the ingredients have repeated themselves, with the exception of the “Sunday gravys”, each meal has been unique. The hot and humid conditions we are currently experiencing has me focused on summer dishes that require less cooking.

I planned on a variation of the classic Pasta Putanesca, but when I picked up our weekly veggies from the Amish farmers today there were green beans and small potatoes, as well as beets (Patience’s favorite), green onions, and broccoli. Since we still had potatoes from last week I postponed the pasta putanesca….I like the way that sounds…and will go with the green beans and potatoes in a loose tomato sauce.

INGREDIENTS:

Green beans
New potatoes
Diced tomatoes
Bacon cut into small pieces
Garlic, green onions
Fresh basil and parsley

PROCESS;

Parboil the potatoes and green beans, remove and set aside to cool. Cut the potatoes into small dice size pieces and the green beans into 1-2 inch pieces.

Cook the bacon, remove to paper towel to drain, discard the bacon fat, and cook the potatoes until they are browned. Remove and set aside. Add olive oil, garlic and onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the tomatoes and the green beans and cook for about 5-7 minutes then add the potatoes and simmer.

The timing is not absolute! It should be adjusted according to how well done the potatoes and green beans are before adding them to the sauce.



COMMENTS;

I confess….I had my doubts about this…but they proved to be unfounded. The combination was wonderful, and the fresh green beans and potatoes made this a memorable dish. My mother used to serve us green beans and potatoes in a loose tomato sauce, but not with pasta.

No comments: