Saturday, December 17, 2011

12-17…FETTUCCINI WITH ASPARAGUS AND CARROTS IN A CREAM SAUCE

I’ve had all day to think about tonight’s dinner, and after looking through several magazines I decided to prepare a variation of a recipe in the October, 2010 issue of La Cucina Italiana. The recipe is for Tagliatelle with asparagus, and I thought I could use fettuccini for the pasta, add the carrots Patience prepared several days ago, plus some bacon, and give the dish a twist of my own. Once I begin to cooking there is no telling what other changes I’ll make.



INGREDIENTS:

Fettuccini
Asparagus
Carrots, previously cooked in butter with parsley
Garlic
Green onion
Olive oil
Bacon, coarsely chopped
Butter
Italian parsley, finely chopped
Parmigiano reggiano cheese

PROCESS:

Cook the bacon, remove and set aside to drain. Cut of the top 1 ½ inches of the asparagus and nuke for 2 minute, and set aside. Cut the remaining stems crosswise into 1/3 inch pieces.

Cook the garlic, scallions, in olive oil until soft, then add about two tablespoons of butter, the asparagus stems, half of the parsley, about two to three tablespoons of the bacon, plus about ¼ cup of water and bring to a boil and simmer until the asparagus is soft. (I added the carrots at this time but your can proceed
Frequently.

Transfer contents to a blender or food processer and puree until smooth. Return to the pan, reheat, and add the cheese and the remaining parsley.

In a serving bowl mix the pasta and the sauce, adding some pasta water if needed. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon and serve.

COMMENTS:

I originally planned to wait until morning to post this, but it was so good I couldn’t wait to share it. I loved the combination of the carrots and asparagus, and of course with parmigiano reggiano cheese it is had to go wrong.

How good was it? No left overs worth saving; they will go to the dogs.



Note. I get the cheese online at www.ditalia,com

No comments: