Saturday, December 24, 2011

12-24…7 FISHES MINUS 5, A CHRISTMAS EVE TRADITION

There was no way I was going to do the seven fishes tonight. I took the easy way out and opted for a shrimp cocktail appetizer followed by linguine with an anchovy sauce.

Our dear friend Julie joined us for dinner, and in all of my excitement I forgot to take photos. My bad.

INGREDIENTS:

Linguine
Olive oil
Garlic and shallots
6 Anchovy fillets coarsely chopped
Italian parsley, finely chopped
Parmigiano reggiano cheese

PROCESS:

Heat the olive oil and add the garlic, shallots, and anchovies and cook while waiting for the pasta to be finished.

Add the pasta to the pan, toss in the parsley, and mix well. Add some of the pasta water if needed, Serve with grated parmigiano cheese.

COMMENTS:

Memories of Christmas Eves spent with my parents descend upon me every year at this time, memories which are always welcomed… Smelts, Bacala, Calamari, and more. My enjoyment of the fish never matched my father’s, but with each passing year I seem to remember them tasting better and better.

I don’t try to reproduce those Christmas Eves; this simple dinner with Patience and Julie is more than enough for me, and it’s memory will stand up to the best of them.

Happy Birthday mom, and Merry Christmas to all.

No comments: