Wednesday, November 9, 2011

11-9…Pasta with asparagus and butternut squash sauce



I’ve been on a mission lately to use the accumulated ingredients and leftovers in our freezer. Tonight I’ve decided to combine some frozen butternut squash ravioli filling with freshly roasted butternut squash and create a creamy butter sauce to serve over pasta and asparagus.

INGREDIENTS: Used in the butternut squash ravioli filling….

Butternut squash
Butter
Cream
Ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese
Parmigiano Regiano cheese
Nutmeg
Maple syrup
Fresh sage, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Plus fresh butternut squash, cream, mascarpone cheese, and asparagus

PROCESS:

I cut the squash lengthwise and remove seeds and stringy stuff, buttered the exposed areas, placed it in a baking dish with1” of water, and roasted it for about I hour at 350 degrees. After it cooled I scooped out the “meat” and added it to the leftover ravioli filling. At this point the “sauce” was rather thick so I added a bit of cream and mascarpone cheese and warmed it over low heat.

While the pasta cooked I nuked the asparagus under plastic wrap for 2 minutes.

COMMENTS:

OMG…this was good….so good it should be declared illegal. I debated adding bacon bits as a garnish but decided I didn’t want to distract from the cheese/squash flavor. Now if every meal could be as inspired as this....

No comments: