Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2-1...pasta with a light tomato sauce, arugula, and mozzarella

Tonight marks the beginning of our ninth month of the Pasta Quest, and I am confident we will take the rest of the way...A Year of Pasta.

Patience will be away this weekend and there is still a lot of arugula in the fridge so I'll put it to use again tonight in a loose tomato sauce with mozzarella cheese.  I considered adding bacon or kalamata olives but I decided to avoid their strong flavors to see what the arugula would do by itself.

INGREDIENTS:

Conchiglie (shells)
San Marzano whole tomatoes
Olive oil
Garlic and onion
Coarsely chopped arugula
Red pepper flakes
Dry basil and oregano
Italian parsley
Sweet Vermouth

 

PROCESS:

Saute the garlic and onion until soft.  Add the tomatoes (break them up with a wooden spoon), herbs, and cook for about 30 minutes, adding a splash of wine after 15-20 minutes.

Coarsely chop the arugula and cut the mozzarella into small, bite size pieces.  When the pasta is done add it to the sauce and mix in the cheese.  Then mix in the arugula and serve to a hungry, grateful wife who has just worked over 12 hectic hours at the hospital.



COMMENTS:



OK, I know I am not stingy with my praise for these pasta dishes...but this dish was so damn good!!!  The combination of arugula ( sweetened by the heat) and sweet vermouth is unbelievable.  You gotta try this...but I must warn you, if you do,you will want to marry me.













No comments: