Monday, March 26, 2012

Finding happiness with onions and beans

Tonight I decided to borrow a page from the pasta edition of La Cucina Italiana; it is a recipe for onions and white wine, something I have in abundance.  I added my own twist with the addition of white beans and toasted ciabatta bread crumbs.



INGREDIENTS:

Al Dente Pasta's fiesta fettucine
Onion, cut into thin slices
Olive oil
Toasted bread crumbs...optional
Garlic
Parsley (I used cilantro because we had no parsley)
Dry white wine

PROCESS:

Toast the bread crumbs, but don't burn them like you know who did.  In a deep skillet add the wine and onions (I used 1/2 an onion and 1 cup of white wine for the 2 of us) and cook over high heat until the wine is gone, then reduce heat and cook until the onions are soft.  Add olive oil and garlic plus the white beans (I used navy beans but cannellini will also work.), herbs, and simmer while the pasta cooks.

Add the pasta plus some pasta water, mix well, and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.

COMMENTS:

A delightful dish with a delightful flavor, thanks to the onions and wine.  The next time I do this, and there will definitely be a next time, I will use a whole onion.  For 4-6 people I would use 2 o3 onions.

No comments: