Monday, March 5, 2012

TOO MUCH WEIRDNESS

Yesterday I posted on my facebook page that Gallery 5 would be showing what I called "weird work" on this week's Second Saturday (March 10 from noon to 6 PM).  The work refers to a wide variety of paintings, prints, and constructions from my first 2 years in Paducah, and I would be selling  them for whatever price was offered to me...no offer would be refused.



This morning I received a request for a phone interview from Flora Forquart who writes an "About Art" column for the Times.  I did not record the interview but would like to share with my readers the general gist of the exchange.

FFART:
"Mr. Rezooli, I heard from a friend of a friend of my cousin that you are giving your art away.  Is that...

ME:
"It's Renzulli, not Rezooli, and I'm not giving anything away; I'm selling my art to interested parties.

FFART:
"Well, I checked your blog and saw your reference to a wall of weird work...Why weird, and why a wall."

ME:
"Well why not?   I like a little alliteration.  Look, let me level with you...I plan to show a bunch of funky stuff that I created 8-9 years ago, and OK, maybe it's not weird, but in retrospect it is a little strange.  And to tell you the truth, I think the work has some merit.  I simply need to move it out because of space limitations.

FFART:
"Whatever...but to just give it away?  That is a no no!  Fine artists don't do that...it undervalues your work.

ME:
"First of all Flora, I'm not giving it away.  I am accepting whatever is offered to me.  Secondly, I don't measure the value of my art in dollars and cents."  I....

FFART:
Well whatever Mr Rezooli.  I think you're a little weird, and this interview is useless.  I write for some very sophisticated readers who enjoy installations and performance art among....

ME:
Hey, that is what I'm doing...this is an installation and I will be performing at the gallery.

FFART:
Oh...that is so different!  Yes, an installation of weird work on a wall...I love it!  So tell me...

Anyway, that's how it went.  Whether she will ever publish this remains to be seen.  To see what this was all about visit GALLERY 5 ON MARCH 10, FROM NOON TO 6 PM for a very unusual gallery experience.




No comments: