Wednesday, July 6, 2011

BEET GREENS PESTO 7-6

Cooking for myself tonight so I decided to experiment…with an abundance of beet greens in the fridge I thought I would try making pesto.


I know...;it is not the most attractive looking dish...but wait till you taste it!!

INGREDIENTS:

Gemelli pasta (almost any kind will do…this is what I had on hand, just enough for one serving.)
Beet greens coarsely chopped…about 2 cups
Parmesan cheese…about ¼ cup
Garlic
Fresh basil leaves chopped…about 5-6 leaves
Olive oil
Pistachio nuts…about 1/4 cup

PROCESS:

Boil the beet greens for 4-5 minutes, drain, and place in food processor along with the remaining ingredients and pulse to a creamy paste.

Cook the pasta in the water used to cook the beats. Drain and mix in the pesto plus added cheese.

COMMENTS:

This is much, much better than it looks. If you ever serve this to guests use some colorful garnish to add to its visual attraction. The flavor will take care of the rest.

I’m anxious to get Patience’s impression.

No comments: