Monday, July 18, 2011

VEGGIES, VEGGIES, & MORE VEGGIES 7-18

I have not actually seen it, but I am absolutely convinced that the zucchini, green beans, and other veggies are propagating in our fridge! Every time I think I’ve used them up more appear. It is becoming a challenge to use them without repeating basic recipes. Sometimes the best I can do is to add a new twist to a previous recipe. Tonight’s dish falls somewhere in between.



INGREDIENTS:

Zucchini and yellow squash, diced
Green beans
Broccoli
Fresh basil, oregano, sage and parsley
Garlic
Onion
Lemon juice or zest
White wine
Olive oil
Heavy cream
Mascarpone cheese

PROCESS:

Sauté the zucchini with green onions and garlic in olive oil. Remove and set ½ aside and puree the other half with Parmesan cheese and 2 chopped sage leaves.



Cook the broccoli and green beans in boiling water for about 5 minutes. In the meantime sauté garlic in olive oil, then add the veggies to the pan, along with the un-blended zucchini and the fresh herbs and lemon juice, plus a splash of white wine. Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.



While the pasta is cooking in the water used for the veggies, add the pureed zucchini to the pan with the veggies and mix well. Then add butter and cream, stirring constantly. One or two tablespoons of Mascarpone cheese are optional.

PROCESS:

I hereby proclaim this meal an unqualified success! The flavor of the green beans and broccoli remained intact, enhanced by the Mascarpone cheese. I wonder what a dollop of Gorgonzola or Blue cheese would add. Although I don’t pay too much attention to measurements and time, the veggies were just right, still a bit crunchy, but cooked through. I suspect that was accidental, but I’m willing to take credit for it.

No comments: