Friday, July 1, 2011

BEETS, BEET GREENS, AND PASTA 7-1

My wife loves fresh beets, I love my wife, therefore the first pasta dish of the third month of the pasta quest was beets, beet greens, and Gemelli.



INGREDIENTS:

Beets
Beet greens, chopped
Butter
Olive oil
Bacon, chopped
Gemelli pasta
Garlic
Red pepper flakes



PROCESS:

Peel the beet and cut into small pieces and cook in boiling water until soft. Remove, drain, and set aside, adding a pad of butter.

Cook the bacon, remove and drain excess fat. Add small amount of olive oil to pan. Heat 2 small cloves of garlic in the olive oil until soft, remove, and add red pepper flakes, butter and the beet greens. Cook for 3-5 minutes.

Place the pasta in a serving bowl; add the beets, greens, and a pad of butter, plus some of the water used to cook the beet. Garnish with the bacon, add parmesan cheese and serve.



COMMENTS:

I was worried about this dish…knowing how much Patience likes beets I did not want to ruin a batch of fresh beets and their greens (I bought them this morning at the farmers market.).

Happily, she loved the dinner and all is well that ends well.

No comments: