Friday, February 22, 2008

4 MORE BARNS


Barn #5 pastel 15x20


Barn #6 pastel 15x20
This was painted from a photo take somewhere along the Pennsylvania turnpike, a great place to see some classic barns.


Barn #9 pastel 15x20

This is the last of the "numbered" barns. I have no idea what happened to nos. 4, 7, and 8. After spending several months exploring the various backgrounds as seen in these paintings I gradually drifted towards a more literal approach. Here is one example:


Standing alone pastel 20x30

6 comments:

Linda O'Neill said...

Hi Bill...these are great and I like the abstraction you've worked in. The combination is so cool!

Aynex Mercado said...

Are you up to the challenge?? Visit my blog to find out...

Linda said...

Okay, Bill. I just love those numbers. The abstract quality of the backgrounds and the inclusion of the number combined with the classic barn subject is really incredible. The top one is my favorite -- the number 5 sits there on the road like a piece of the landscape. Kind of makes me want to sing ...
"Five is the loneliest number that you'll ever know ..."
Really great. I'm very curious about what lead you to choose or experiment with these types of elements. (the angles, circles, numbers, etc.)

Oh, and thank you for your encouraging comments about the pastels. It truly means a lot coming from you. :-)

Unknown said...

I love finding a blog by accident and then finding out it is beautiful. Your barns are just lovely.

William F. Renzulli said...

Thank you all for your comments.

Aynex, I'm thinking about the challenge, you know how challenged I am.

Linda, I really don't know what it was that led me to use the shapes and figures in the background. It began with some simple color deliniations in the background and then progressed to the shapes and foreground deliniation. The numbers are another story which I plan to describe in a future post.

Linda said...

Good! I look forward to hearing about the numbers... :-)