Saturday, February 23, 2008

ONE MORE TIME

This morning's post will finish the series on barns, at least for a while.


Abandoned hillside barn pastel

This paintings was done when I was experimenting with different supports for pastel. In this painting, and several others, I used blue foam insulation board after applying several coats of gesso and an acrylic monochromatic wash. An acrylic molding paste was used to create the heavy texture in the foreground. As with almost all of my pastels, the pastels were applied in layers by rubbing in “pastel dust” with intermittent coats of fixative.


Barn with gray square (how is that for an inspired title!) pastel

This was the last of the series with shapes and figures in the background for several years. I resumed the practice in several recent pastels - of barns of course- that were on previous posts.


Somewhere in McCracken Co. pastel 20x30

This is a typical barn seen in western Kentucky, usually sitting alone, and abandoned, in the middle of nothing.

5 comments:

dog face girls said...

Oh Bill,

I've been loving your barn series. I must confess the the Hill side barn is my fav.

Cheers,

Vee

Teri said...

I was just looking at your wonderful barns. They are so colorful and love your light and darks. Wow!

Linda said...

Wow -- the hill side barn is my favorite, too. The textured underpainting is fantastic.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I love that last one...it's beautiful!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Bill, I just love how you abstract your barns!