Thursday, February 14, 2008

OLD PHILADELPHIA

My recent acrylic and pastel paintings, rural landscapes, barns, and prairies with large skies, stand in stark contrast with my love for the urban environment: city streets, markets, storefronts, architecture, and skylines. While the drawings were done on the spot, the paintings were done in the studio, using photos and sketches for references. I enjoyed finding photos of the city as it was in distant times, almost always in black and white, and painting scenes as I imagined they were in color.

Today I have resurrected several paintings of “old” Philadelphia. The first 2 paintings show buildings as they stand today.


Betsy Ross House watercolor aprox7x5


Phila. Merchants Exchange watercolor This is one of my favorite of all the old architecture in the city.

The next 2 paintings are my interpretation of old photos.

small watercolor rendered from an old B&W photo


My impression of an old city street scene, from an old photo

5 comments:

dog face girls said...

I'm having so much fun visiting Philly through you lovely art. I must share that I love finding old photos of Tacoma from the early 1900's and am facinated by old architecture.

Vee

Jean Levert Hood said...

Phila. Merchants Exchange is my favorite, Bill. You are so talented in all of these mediums!

Patience-please said...

I gave you a blog award, but you don't have to do anything with it.
Happy Valentine's day!
love-
P

Linda O'Neill said...

Wow, I love these, Bill...especially the last one.

Happy Valentine's Day to you and Miss Patience!

Julio Rodrigues said...

For someone like me who loves watercolors of old buildings, this site is a gold mine.
Happy Valentine's Day.